Connect with us

College Soccer

Hadran’s buzzer beating PK lifts Robert Morris to comeback win at NKU

From Robert Morris University Athletic Department Report

Robert Morris men’s soccer team picked up their first conference win of the season, beating Northern Kentucky in the final seconds, 2-1.

Both teams came into this game undefeated. RMU stays that way as they’re now 3-0-2 and 1-0 in the Horizon League. NKU’s overall record is now 0-1-3 and 0-1 in conference.

“We are delighted to earn a hard-fought win on the road in the Horizon League. The team kept fighting until the final whistle and we got rewarded in the end,” Jonathan Potter, Robert Morris Head Coach said.


Coming into today’s game without a win yet, the Norse were motivated to earn their first in front of their home crowd. Early on from the opening kick-off, NKU gathered most of the chances. Through the first 22 minutes, NKU earned three corner kicks and made three shot attempts, while the Colonials only had one shot.
Then, in the 29th minute, Northern Kentucky got on the board. Roberto Burlew took a shot outside the 18-yard box that took a deflection off an RMU defender, taking a fortuitous bounce right to the feet of Sam Robinson to deflect it in for the opening goal.
For the remainder of the half, not too much action was featured, as each side only recorded one shot in the final 15 minutes.
Onto the second half, freshman goalkeeper Kieran Gorgenyi made a huge stop to keep the score, 0-1 a minute into the half. Sam Robinson sprinted down looking for his second goal of the game, and Gorgenyi swatted the ball out of play.
Quickly after, the Colonials started to gain more possession in Northern Kentucky’s defensive zone. John Paul Mbuthia and Chase Gilley both pulled off shots and RMU earned two corner kick opportunities.
As the action continued to go back-and-forth, it was NKU’s turn. Once again, Sam Robinson was looking to be the goal scorer for the home side. In a matter of 90 seconds, he peppered three shots towards goal and one hit the post.
In the 63rd minute, the Norse almost extended their lead as they scored but the play was called offside. NKU held most of the offensive chances up until now, but the Colonials were on the verge of something special.
Moments later, freshman Yanis Rucquois blasted a cross to the back-post finding the feet of Chase Gilley in the box. RMU almost got on the board as Gilley’s shot just went wide.
A few minutes passed, and Rucquois was on the ball again. Dribbling with speed, he took on the NKU defense himself, beating a player. As he got into the box, he was taken down by Wade Stinson and earned the team a penalty kick opportunity. Rucquois stepped up to take the shot, passed it in on the right side and tied the game.
With just a minute left in the game, NKU possessed the ball in RMU’s zone. Off the counterattack, the Colonials went the full field at top speed with time running out. Chase Gilley dribbled down the right side and cut inside the box looking to get a shot off with seconds left. Before getting a shot off, he was tripped up by an NKU defender and the referee called for another penalty kick with three seconds left in the match.
This time, it would be the Moroccan, Anass Hadran stepping up to take the kick. Just as Rucquois did, Hadran finished his shot into the right side, past the keeper, scoring the game-winning goal at the buzzer.
The Colonials celebrated, as the program in its first conference game of the season on the road, came away victorious, winning 2-1.
29′ – Goal: Sam Robinson (1), Assisted by: Roberto Burlew (2)
77′ – Goal: Yanis Rucquois (1, PK)
90′ – Goal: Anass Hadran (2, PK)

Sponsored by The Bulldog Pub

Glory on the Grass

Riverhounds MF Kenardo Forbes

Subscribe to PGH Soccer Now

Enter your email address to subscribe to PGH Soccer Now and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More in College Soccer