FINAL: VCU 1, Pitt 0
From University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department report
Pitt women’s soccer team dropped their first home match of the 2019 season on Thursday night as the VCU Rams handed the Panthers a 1-0 loss at Ambrose Urbanic Field.
- Records: Pittsburgh (3-3-1, 0-0-0 ACC), VCU (5-1-1, 0-0-0 A10)
- VCU Goal Scorer: Samantha Jerabek (1)
- VCU Assist: Karen Lohrmann (1)
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Ambrose Urbanic Field
- Attendance: 268
- Pittsburgh: Caitlyn Lazzarini, Mackenzie Edwards, Hollie Olding, Juliana Vazquez, Margret Arnadottir, Amanda West, Cheyenne Hudson, Anna Bout, Athalie Palomo, Kate McKay, Marisa Tava
- VCU: Grace Young, Emma Kershner, Ingrid Brouwer, Alyssa Tallent, Samantha Jerabek, Tori Browne, Susanna Friedrichs, Lyndsey Gutzmer, Amanda Tredway, Karen Lohrmann, Lana Golob,
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU was able to record the first shot of the match in the 5th minute as Susanna Friedrichs ripped a hard shot over the top of the cage.
- Two minutes later, Caitlyn Lazzarini made her first stop of the game off the foot of Lana Golob.
- Anna Rico had a great scoring chance in the 35th minute as she beat her defender to the inside and ripped a low hard shot that just missed the lower left corner of the VCU goal.
- The Panthers opened the second half strong as Anna Bout had her shot snagged by the VCU keeper to keep the game scoreless in the 48th minute.
- Lazzarini made back-to-back saves in the 59th minute of play as Emma Kershner flicked a header on goal and took a shot from 10 yards out but the freshman was up to the tests.
- The Rams broke through with the would-be game-winning goal in the 79th minute as Karen Lohrmann send a beautiful cross into the box where Samantha Jerabek headed home her first goal of the season.
- Pressing for the game-tying goal in the 87th minute, Aideen O’Donoghue had a great chance but her right-footed shot soared just over the goal and out of play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Panthers are now 15-15-1 all-time against Atlantic 10 opponents including 1-5-0 against VCU.
- The loss marks the Panthers first home loss of the season.
- The Rams held the 17-5 edge in shots while the corner kicks were tied, 4-4.
- The Panthers had five players record a shot each while Kershner led all players with four shots in the game.
- Caitlyn Lazzarini finished off her first career loss with three saves while her counterpart Grace Young finished with two saves in the shutout.
- The Panthers will now hit the road for their final non-conference match of the season on Sunday afternoon as they head to Liberty to take on the Flames at 1:00 pm.