From Duquesne University Athletic Department report
Senior forward Lauren Bell found the back of the net in the 99th minute to lift Duquesne (2-5-1, 2-4-1) a 1-0 win over St. Bonaventure (0-7, 0-7) on Thursday afternoon at SBU’s Marra Athletic Complex in Olean, NY.
Brooke Schutter crossed the ball from the left side where DU’s Lexy Kendro controlled it and glanced the ball off St. Bonaventure’s Alex Thompson. The ball squirted directly to the foot of Bell, who lifted a shot past SBU keeper Nolan Mackenzie from seven yards out.
The goal was the first of the season for Bell, who upped her career goal total to nine.
Megan Virgin posted four saves in shutting out SBU for the second time this season.
Duquesne, which held St. Bonaventure without a shot in overtime, outshot the Bonnies 17-10, including 7-4 on goal.
The Dukes conclude the regular season at St. Bonaventure on Sunday, April 11at Noon (ESPN+).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Duquesne dominated play early with five shots in the first 19 minutes. Lexy Kendro and Brooke Schutter both got of shots in the first four minutes.
- DU’s continued pressure led to four first half corner kicks.
- Virgin hit the turf in making a save on a popped up shot and scrambled to her feet to turn away a rebound from point blank off the foot of Alex Farrance in the 42nd minute. A Bonnies header off the ensuing corner sailed just over the crossbar.
- Nguyen put a free kick on net in the 44th minute for DU’s first shot on goal of the match.
- Five of St. Bonaventure’s six first-half shots came in a five minute flurry at the end of the half.
- DU outshot SBU 7-6 in the half, but the Bonnies put three on net to one for the Dukes.
- Schutter lined one off the center of the St. Bonaventure crossbar from well out in the 51st minute.
- DU’s Deena DeBaldo put a shot on net from a tight right side angle in the 59th minute.
- Ashley Rodriguez made a run that led to a Duquesne corner in the 64th minute. DU retained possession which resulted in a second comer, but the Dukes were unable to capitalize.
- SBU crossed it in front of the DU net, but the Bonnies’ Tsianna Barnwell was able to get a solid foot on it.
- Less than a minute later, SBU’s Napoli slid a shot just right of the DU net.
- DU’s Emma Bundy shot wide left from the middle of the box in the 71st minute.
- Duquesne had a 15-10 advantage in shots and 6-4 edge in shots on goal in regulation.
- Hannah Nguyen crossed it to Sarah Wilkinson in the 93rd minute, but Wilkerson’s shot from the edge of the six skimmed off the crossbar.
- Bell put the game away with her goal in the 99th minute.