The second round of the 2020-21 DI women’s soccer championship is complete.
Eight teams advanced on Saturday, following the eight winners on Friday to make up the third round participants.
No. 5 WVU Shutout by Rice, 1-0
Among the results, despite owning much of the possession and a huge advantages in shots, No. 5 overall seed West Virginia couldn’t find an elusive goal as they were shutout by Rice, 1-0, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, at WakeMed Soccer Park, in Cary, North Carolina, on Saturday.
A 74th-minute penalty kick goal from Rice’s Delaney Schultz was the difference.
Despite leading 20-1 in shots, including 11 shots in the second half, the Mountaineers (10-3-1, 7-2-0 Big 12) couldn’t overcome Rice’s second-half penalty kick goal. West Virginia also placed six shots on goal and received seven corner kick opportunities, but couldn’t manage to find the back of the net in the 90-minute contest.
— Rice Soccer (@RiceSoccer) May 1, 2021
“Rice definitely disrupted us, dropping everybody around the 18 and really defending on the inside,” WVU coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “We were a little disrupted and were forced to find different space than we normally would have. At the end of the day, we just didn’t find the back of the net despite having our chances. I have to give a lot of credit to Rice, though.”
Tough one today!! Not the result we wanted & one game will not define us. I am remarkably proud of the sacrifice & discipline this team had during an incredibly challenging year. Through these obstacles we lived, we learned & will be stronger because of them. Head up ladies💙⚽️💛 https://t.co/gp2zypa3du
— Lisa Stoia (@LisaStoiaWVU) May 1, 2021
Penn State knocks off No. 16 Vandy
A two-goal second half lifted the Penn State women’s soccer team (12-2-1, 9-1-1) to a 2-0 win over the Vanderbilt Commodores on Saturday afternoon. Senior Kristin Schnurr and freshman Eva Alonso scored in the win to send Penn State to its fourth straight Sweet 16.
Penn State will meet #1 Florida State on May 5 at 3 p.m. for a spot in the NCAA quarterfinals.
— Penn State Women’s Soccer (@PennStateWSOC) May 2, 2021
Saturday’s Second Round Scoreboard
Virginia upended No. 12 BYU and No. 16 Vanderbilt before No. 6 Arkansas, No. 13 Georgetown and No. 11 Santa Clara advanced.
Here is the full list of Saturday scores:
- No. 1 Florida State 3, Milwaukee 0
- Rice 1, No. 5 West Virginia 0
- No. 9 Duke 2, Arizona State 1 (OT)
- Virginia 2, No. 12 BYU 0
- Penn State 2, No. 16 Vanderbilt 0
- No. 6 Arkansas 3, Utah Valley 1
- No. 13 Georgetown 1, South Carolina 0
- No. 11 Santa Clara 4, Ohio State 1
Here is the schedule for the third round. All times ET.
- No. 7 Texas A&M vs. No. 10 Oklahoma State | 12 p.m. on May 5
- No. 9 Duke vs. Ole Miss | 12 p.m. on May 5
- No. 1 Florida State vs. Penn State | 3 p.m. on May 5
- No. 2 North Carolina vs. Washington | 3 p.m. on May 5
- No. 3 UCLA vs. No. 14 Clemson | 6 p.m. on May 5
- No. 4 TCU vs. No. 13 Georgetown | 6 p.m. on May 5
- No. 6 Arkansas vs. No. 11 Santa Clara | 9 p.m. on May 5
- Rice vs. Virginia | 9 p.m. on May 5