From Duquense University report
Duquesne’s Noah Mehta scored in the 12th minute and Temple’s Lukas Fernandes answered in the 87th as DU (1-3-1) and TU (2-4-1) battled to a 1-1 draw on Rooney Field. The Dukes outshot the Owls 13-11, including 6-3 on goal.
“We can’t question the effort for 90-plus minutes. I thought the guys battled extremely hard on both sides of the ball. We were able to create some good chances and finish the great goal in the first half. It’s college soccer, a miss-hit or bad bounce leads you to finding yourself behind the 8-ball a little bit, but I thought our guys responded well. We battled and continue to move forward onto Wednesday.”
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Noah Mehta got the Dukes on the board in the 12th minute when he took a pass from Rob Dymond on the left flank and bent a shot into the top right. It was the first career goal for the DU senior.
- Dymond nearly converted following a long run in the 40th minute, but his shot slid wide left.
- DU outshot TU 4-3 in the first half. The Dukes held the Owls without a shot on goal in the opening 45.
- Temple had a chance in the opening minute of the second half when Hermann Doerner chipped a ball to Justin Hahn who circled in from the right but was unable to get a head on the ball from the six.
- Duquesne’s Luke Kelly (Peters Township) took a cross and had his shot blocked while falling to his back from 13 yards out in the 69th minute.
- Lukas Fernandes took a pass from Jalen Campbell on the far right and from a difficult angle placed a one-hopper into the Duquesne net in the 87th minute. It was the Owls’ first shot on goal of the match.
- Hahn’s header in the 102nd minute went wide.
- Zion Beaton rifled a shot off the right post 106th minute for DU.
- The Dukes, who have started at least six freshmen in all five matches this season, started seven freshman for the fourth consecutive match.
— Duquesne Men's Soccer (@DuqMSoccer) September 17, 2018
DU concludes its stretch of five consecutive home games on Wednesday night vs. Robert Morris (7:00 p.m. kick).