Despite being under constant pressure, it took a penalty kick from No. 6 Florida State to earn a 1-0 win over a pesky Pitt’s women’s soccer team on Saturday afternoon at Seminole Soccer Complex.
“I’m really proud of our team as we came in with a game plan that would give us a chance to win late, and we did that,” Randy Waldrum, Pitt’s head coach said. “The level of work we put in was fantastic. Hopefully this helps in laying our foundation that we are capable of playing with anyone. I’m happy that we are on the right path!”
With the loss, Pitt is now 3-6-3 overall, and 0-2-2 in ACC. Florida State(10-2-0, 4-0-0) showed why they’re among the National Championship contenders in the ACC, by out shooting the Panthers 19-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida State drew a foul in the box, and Abbey Newton scored on the penalty kick with a shot to the right side of the net.
- Amaia Pena made a quick reaction for a diving save on a deflection off a shot from inside the box in the eighth minute.
- Florida State put a shot off the left post from the top of the semicircle on a free kick in the 26th minute.
- Marisa Tava had the Panthers’ first shot of the game in the 41st minute, heading in a ball wide left from a few yards out with a wide open left side of the net in front of her.
- Anna Rico had Pitt’s first shot on goal from the left side of the box in the 62nd minute, and Florida State’s goalkeeper made a diving one-handed save.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida State had the advantage in shots (19-2) and corner kicks (9-1).
- Pena made four saves
PITT’S STARTING LINEUP
- Amaia Pena, Mackenzie Edwards, Juliana Vazquez, Amanda West, Anna Bout, Athalie Palomo, Kate McKay, Vildan Kardesler, Krystyna Rytel, Aideen O’Donoghue, Anna Rico
- The Panthers begin a three-game homestand next Thursday at 7 p.m. against RV Boston College.