The Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC will reveal its 34-game 2020 USL Championship league schedule today at 2 p.m. — but before that happens Pittsburgh Soccer Now has learned of some additional match dates in advance of the full schedule announcement.
Earlier this week, the USL Championship announced all home openers for its clubs, with the Hounds opening the season in Charlotte on March 14, and starting its home schedule on March 21 against Louisville City FC.
Plus, on Tuesday, three additional Hounds games were revealed when the league shared its Game of the Week schedule with broadcast partners ESPN. These games included at Tampa Bay (Friday, March 27), at Louisville City (July 1) and a home match against Miami (Friday, October 9).
Below (in bold) are five key Riverhounds SC matches Pittsburgh Soccer Now has been informed will also be on the 2020 schedule:
- Saturday, March 14: Charlotte Independence, time TBA, (away game)
- Saturday, March 21: Louisville City FC, 7 p.m. (home opener)
- Friday, March 27: Tampa Bay Rowdies, 7:30 p.m. (away)
- Saturday, April 4: Birmingham Legion FC, time TBA (home)
- Tues-Thurs, April 7-9: Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Second Round (TBA)
- Saturday, April 18: Loudoun United FC, time TBA (home)
- Tues-Thurs, April 21-23: Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Third Round (TBA)
- Saturday, June 20: Loudoun United FC, time TBA (away)
- Saturday, July 1: Louisville City FC, 7 p.m. (away)
- Saturday, July 4: North Carolina FC, time TBA (home)
- Friday, October 9: Miami FC, 8 p.m. (home)
- Saturday, Oct. 17: Charleston Battery, time TBA (home)
The April 4th match would pit the return to Pittsburgh for the Hounds’ leading scorer from the previous two seasons, Neco Brett, who signed with Birmingham in December. In two seasons in Pittsburgh, the former Robert Morris University standout scored 32 goals and added 17 assists in 70 games.
The Hounds’ third home match of the season will be played on April 18, against Loudoun United FC.
It will be a busy April.
Keep in mind, the Hounds will also be one of 25 USL Championship clubs that will be participating in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which will have a revised schedule in 2020. The Hounds are slated to enter the proper tournament its second round to be played earlier this year — mid-week between April 7-9, If they would win, its third round match, which could potentially feature a Major League Soccer opponent, would be played between April 21-23.
The June 20th road match at Loudoun United, in Northern Virginia, will be the Hounds closest geographical road opponent this season (230 mile trek to be precise).
The club requests each year to host a match on the 4th of July, and this year’s edition will see the return of North Carolina FC to Pittsburgh on Independence Day. In 2018, North Carolina FC and the Hounds played in a weather delayed match on July 4, with the game resuming after the City of Pittsburgh’s Fireworks show had completed, as Pittsburgh prevailed 2-0 in a game that concluded just before Midnight.
The Hounds final home game will be against long-time, Old-Guard Shield rival Charleston Battery, on Saturday, October 17.
The preseason schedule for the Hounds is still being finalized
Training camp is expected to begin Saturday, February 1. As of this post date, the Hounds have nine players signed to its 2020 roster.
The rest of the 34-game schedule will be released at 2 p.m.