FINAL: Pitt 1, The Citadel 0
From University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department report
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Amanda West scored the game’s lone goal with less than three minutes left to extend the best start in No. 12 Pitt women’s soccer history at 6-0-0 with a 1-0 victory over The Citadel (1-2-1) Sunday afternoon at WLI Field. West has scored three-straight game-winning goals and a goal in all six games this fall, something no other Panther in program history has done before.
𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗔𝗟 | Three-straight game-winning goals for @amanda_westt. And a goal in all six games this year 😁.
No. 12 Pitt 0️⃣ | The Citadel 0️⃣
— Pitt Women's Soccer (@Pitt_WSOC) September 27, 2020
At midfield, Anna Bout sent a lob overtop the defense to a streaking West, who dribbled the ball into the right side of the box and tucked in a shot over the goalkeeper’s arms into the right corner of the net.
“We had a much better performance today than on Thursday,” said Pitt head coach Randy Waldrum. “From the beginning, our intensity and pressure was much better. I was proud of how we handled the Citadel with only three shots and none on goal, and our midfield in particular was good today. Anna Bout, Chloe Minas, Emily Yaple and Dixon Veltri really helped us set play and win things back defensively. We didn’t do that on Thursday. In particular, Bout was really good today. West continues to create chances and score goals, but Leah Pais and Anna Rico were good today as well. Our staff is really pleased with the growth of this team, and we realize there is still much to do.”
Pitt stays on the road to resume ACC play, facing No. 11 Virginia next Thursday at 7 p.m.
- West moved ahead of Roosa Arvas (2012-14) for the fourth-most points (44) in program history.
- The six victories to start the season is the second-longest winning-streak in school history, as the 2015 team rattled off eight wins in a row.
- The Panthers picked up their fifth road win of the season, the most road wins in a single-season in program history.
- Pitt has swept two opponents with a pair of victories this season: Appalachian State and The Citadel.
- The win was the second as a ranked team in school history.
- Robinson (6-0) recorded her third shutout and has only allowed one goal in 490 minutes this season.
- Pitt had the decisive advantage in shots (12-3), shots on goal (2-0) and corner kicks (11-2).
- West had a game-high four shots, and Athalie Palomo had three shots.