The Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC learned on Thursday night during a draw for the U.S. Open Cup’s Third Round that they will be facing Maryland Bobcats on either April 25 or April 26, at Highmark Stadium.
The Hounds drew into the East Region, along with DC United, Maryland Bobcats and the winner of Thursday’s Richmond Kickers vs Cleveland SC match-up.
Last season, the Hounds defeated Maryland, 2-0, in second round of the competition.
For a complete recap of the second round, which featured all USL Championship teams (except the Riverhounds) in action, check out this recap on TheCup.us.
The Hounds advanced to the Third Round, thanks to a forfeit win (1-0) over Rochester NY FC, as the MLS Next Pro independent club ceased operations ahead of what was going to be its second season since its revival of the former Rochester Rhinos.
Unprecedented Rochester-MLS NEXT Pro fiasco likely gifts the Riverhounds a berth in 3rd Round of US Open Cup
Eighteen lower-seeded U.S.-based Division I Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs enter in the Third Round, which will be played on April 25-26. The remaining eight MLS sides will join the party in the Round of 32 (May 9-10).
Home teams for each round are determined by random selection among those who apply to host. Clubs whose venue meets minimum tournament standards are given priority.
HOUNDS IN THE OPEN CUP
Fun Hounds’ Open Cup Factoids
- In the Highmark Stadium era (since 2013), the Hounds have posted an 10-8 overall record in the Open Cup. (this includes its 2nd round forfeit win vs Rochester NY FC).
- All-time, the Hounds are 15-17 overall in the Open Cup.
- The club the Hounds have faced the most in Open Cup? None other than former Old Guard Shield rival Rochester (losses in 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010). The forfeit win in 2023 technically was its first ever against Rochester in the competition.
- Other clubs the Hounds have faced more than once in the Open Cup
- Chicago Fire (2001 & 2014)
- DC United (2003 & 2015)
- Michigan Bucks (2006 & 2012)
- RWB Adria (2013 & 2014)
- FC Cincinnati (2018 & 2022)
- In six matches vs MLS opponents, the Hounds have posted a 1-6 record
- The Hounds’ lone win vs MLS foe came vs Colorado Rapids (2-0) on June 27, 2001, at Bethel Park Stadium
- Three of their losses came in matches that went to Extra Time (3-2 loss vs Chicago in 2001, 3-1 loss vs DC United in 2015 and 2-1 loss at FC Cincinnati in 2022)
- Against lower division teams, the Hounds have mixed success with an overall record of 9-7
- After losing to Fourth Division Chicago FC United in 2017 and amatuers Landsdowne Bhoys in 2016, the Hounds have rebounded in the Bob Lilley era with wins against the Erie Commodores (2018) and Dayton Dutch Lions (2019).
- In the Bob Lilley era, the Hounds are 5-3 in the Open Cup, with losses coming to FC Cincinnati (in 3rd Round in 2018 and 3rd Round in 2022) and Columbus Crew (in 4th Round in 2019). Wins have come versus Erie, Dayton, Indy Eleven (2019), Maryland Bobcats (2022) and Rochester (2023).