FINAL: Pitt 1, Syracuse 1
From University of Pittsburgh athletic department report
Pitt’s women’s soccer team tied Syracuse 1-1 in its ACC opener Friday night at Ambrose Urbanic Field. The Panthers held a 20-8 shots and 9-2 corner kicks advantage, including 6-3 and 2-0 in the two overtimes, but were unable to capitalize on multiple scoring opportunities.
“Certainly we’re disappointed with the result because I felt like we should’ve left here with three points,” Pitt Head Coach Randy Waldrum, said. “Looking back, the one real big positive takeaway is we’re creating chances. We had multiple opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net, but at least we’re creating those chances. We just have to now tuck away those opportunities.”
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After only a few Panthers’ shot early on, Vildan Kardesler was inches away from producing the game’s first goal with a shot from the left side of the box that smacked on the post straight down on the line and out.
- After receiving a pass from Amanda West, Rachel Rasins made a slick move past a Syracuse defender and slotted a shot into the left side of the net in the 38th minute for her first collegiate goal.
- Athalie Palomo nearly doubled Pitt’s lead in the 54th minute, as Syracuse goalkeeper Lysianne Proulx just got her hands on the ball for the save.
- Syracuse’s Taylor Bennett notched the equalizing goal in the 61st minute, converting on a penalty kick.
- After Proulx coughed up the ball at the top of the box in the 79th minute, West flipped a shot over her and just over the post with a wide open net.
- Palomo put a shot just over the post six minutes into overtime.
- Aideen O’Donoghue almost headed in a ball off a corner kick by Juliana Vazquez with less than a minute left in overtime, but an Orange defender kicked it away right at the goal line.
- West had the last quality scoring chance with two minutes left in the game, but Proulx once again made a diving save.
PITT’S STARTING LINEUPS
- Amaia Pena, Mackenzie Edwards, Juliana Vazquez, Amanda West, Cheyenne Hudson, Anna Bout, Athalie Palomo, Kate McKay, Vildan Kardesler, Dixon Veltri, Aideen O’Donoghue
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- With the tie, Pitt earned a point in the ACC standings.
- The tie was the fourth in 21 meetings and first in ACC play between Pitt and Syracuse.
- West registered a game-high five shots and three shots on goal.
- Kate McKay put two of three shots on goal while Palomo had one of her three shots on goal.
- The penalty kick was the only shot on goal for Syracuse.
- The Panthers used their eighth different starting lineup through nine matches.
- Score: Pittsburgh 1, Syracuse 1
- Records: Pittsburgh (3-4-2, 0-0-1 ACC), Syracuse (2-4-2, 0-0-1)
- Pitt Goal Scorer: Rachel Rasins (1)
- Syracuse Goal Scorer: Taylor Bennett (2)
- The Panthers go on the road for the first time in ACC action against Notre Dame next Thursday at 7 p.m.