Connect with us

College Soccer

Robert Morris can’t close the deal on St. Francis; settle for 2-2 draw

Photo courtesy Robert Morris University Athletics

From Robert Morris University Athletic Department report

Despite holding a late lead, Robert Morris men’s soccer team finished settled for a 2-2 draw against Saint Francis.

RMU remains unbeaten, with a 2-0-2 overall record, while Saint Francis now has a record of 1-0-3.

“We are disappointed to not come away with a win. We will learn from this game and turn our attention quickly as we begin to prepare for a tough NKU team to open the conference season.” RMU’s Head Coach Jonathan Potter said.


Earning his first start of the season, Hugo Kadima got the Colonials going with the first chance of the game in the ninth minute. Kadima ripped a shot on frame towards the bottom right part of goal, being saved by Saint Francis’s keeper Jaeger Jordaine.

The Colonials kept going to goal as just a minute later, Victor Koah peppered a shot, saved again by the Red Flash’s goalie.

Finally, 10 minutes later, RMU executed their third chance of the game.

It would be the Moroccan to the Australian, connecting on a goal once again. Very similar to the first goal scored at Bucknell, Anass Hadran had the ball in the midfield, dribbling on the counterattack. The midfielder found Kai McLoughlin into space, as the speedy forward got around a defender, dribbled by the keeper and slotted the ball in for an early 1-0 lead.

After RMU scored, Saint Francis started to gain some opportunities. Over an 11-minute period, they recorded three shots, but none on goal.

Before the half was over, RMU almost scored on a few more chances. In the 35th minute, John Paul Mbuthia finished off a cross on the back post, off a free-kick by Tim Koczulap. Unfortunately, the flag was up and the play was called offsides. Mbuthia didn’t get the goal this time, but he would later in the game.

Just a minute later, freshman Kyler Miller found Logan Gilley into open space in the box. Gilley took a touch, smacking a shot just high-right of the net. After 45 minutes, RMU remained ahead, 1-0.

Only a minute passed into the second half, and Saint Francis found themselves with their first prime chance to score, as they earned a penalty kick. Milan Djajic shot it in and the Red Flash tied the game, 1-1.

Proceeding the tying goal, RMU was motivated to get back the lead. After kick-off, McLoughlin poured another shot towards goal and RMU picked up two more corner kick opportunities.

John Paul Mbuthia’s goal was disallowed in the first half, but this time it wouldn’t be. In minute 74, William Dodzi Afawubo found Logan Gilley on the left side in the final third. He whipped across an excellent pass, finding the head of Mbuthia in the box. The keeper went to the right and the ball went to the left. Mbuthia’s header was his first career collegiate goal, and a vital one for RMU to get back in front.

Upon taking control of the game, the Colonials focused on the defensive side, shutting down SFU’s offense. Looking to close the game out, over the next 16 minutes, RMU didn’t allow a single shot attempt.

With time winding down, Saint Francis got in the box with under a minute left. Several players on both teams were in the RMU box, as Saint Francis hit two shots on goal, both being saved by freshman goalkeeper Kieran Gorgenyi. After Gorgenyi’s two desperate saves, the Colonials just couldn’t clear the ball out and the ball rebounded out to Fabian Wagner who found Joschi Schelb who shot it in, avoiding the loss.

After 90 minutes, the final whistle was blown. Both teams’ stay undefeated, as they battled out to a 2-2 draw.

After playing four non-conference games in a row, RMU is set to travel down to Northern Kentucky University to take on the Norse on Saturday, September 9 at 7:00 p.m. This will be the program’s first Horizon League conference game of the season.

John Krysinsky has covered soccer and other sports for many years for various publications and media outlets. He is also author of 'Miracle on the Mon' -- a book about the Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, which chronicles the club, particularly the early years of Highmark Stadium with the narrative leading up to and centered around a remarkable match that helped provide a spark for the franchise. John has covered sports for Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, DK Pittsburgh Sports, Pittsburgh Sports Report, has served as color commentator on Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC broadcasts, and worked with OPTA Stats and broadcast teams for US Open Cup and International Champions Cup matches held in the US. Krysinsky also served as the Head Men’s Soccer Coach at his alma mater, Point Park University, where he led the Pioneers to the first-ever winning seasons and playoff berths (1996-98); head coach of North Catholic boys (2007-08), associate head coach of Shady Side Academy boys (2009-2014).

Sponsored by The Bulldog Pub

Glory on the Grass

Riverhounds MF Kenardo Forbes

Subscribe to PGH Soccer Now

Enter your email address to subscribe to PGH Soccer Now and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More in College Soccer