From Duquesne University Athletic Department report
Nonconference matchups against a trio of Power 5 schools highlight the 2021 Duquesne men’s soccer schedule released today.
The Dukes, who are in their ninth year under head coach Chase Brooks, open on Thursday, August 26 at Pitt at 8:00 p.m.
The Panthers, who finished last season ranked No. 3 in the United Soccer Coaches Top 25, advanced to the NCAA College Cup semifinal last season in representing the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Southeastern Conference member Kentucky, who advanced to the third round of last year’s College Cup on the way to earning a No. 16 national ranking, will host the Dukes on Sept. 12, while Big Ten member Michigan State, which will host Duquesne on Sept. 21, will be the final Power 5 member on the 2021 schedule.
This is the first time since 2010 (Pitt, Michigan State and West Virginia) that Dukes will play three Power 5 schools in the same season.
Following the Pitt game, DU will play a pair of home matches against local rivals Robert Morris (Aug. 29) and Saint Francis U (Aug. 31) before heading to Washington, D.C. to face Howard (Sept. 5).
DU will host Canisius (Sept. 15) after its trip to Kentucky.
Duquesne will open Atlantic 10 play at home vs. George Washington on Sept. 18.
Additional A-10 home opponents include La Salle (Sept. 25), St. Bonaventure (Oct. 20) and Massachusetts (Oct. 23).
DU will face Davidson (Oct. 2), VCU (Oct. 6), Saint Joseph’s (Oct. 16) and Dayton (Oct. 30) on the road in conference play.
The Dukes will play a final nonconference match at home vs. Wright State on Oct. 26.
The top eight regular-season finishers will compete at the Atlantic 10 Championship with opening round games at the sites of the top four finishers on Nov. 6 & 7. The championship will conclude with semifinal and final games on the campus of the team with the highest remaining seed on Nov. 12 & 14.
Duquesne will play three exhibition matches prior to the season: at West Virginia (Aug. 13) and home vs. Detroit Mercy (Aug. 19) and Cal U. (Aug. 22).
2021 SCHEDULE QUICK NOTES
- Duquesne will play eight matches at home and eight on the road. All eight home games will start at 7:00 p.m. on Rooney Field.
- The Dukes will play eight nonconference and eight Atlantic 10 Conference games as part of the 16-game schedule.
- DU will face members of six conferences – including Power 5 members Pitt, Michigan State & Kentucky – in non-league play: Robert Morris & Wright State (Horizon), Howard & Saint Francis U (Northeast), Canisius (Metro Atlantic), Pitt (Atlantic Coast), Michigan State (Big 10) and Kentucky (Southeastern).
- This is the first time since 2010 (Pitt, Michigan State & West Virginia) that Duquesne will be facing three Power 5 schools in the same season.
- The 13-team Atlantic 10 will maintain an eight-game schedule. The top eight teams will qualify for the Atlantic 10 Championship with first round games at the campus site of the highest seed on Nov. 6 & 7, with the highest remaining seed hosting the semifinal and final on Nov. 12 & 14.
2021 DUQUESNE MEN’S SOCCER SCHEDULE
|Aug. 13||5pm||Away||West Virginia (exhib.)||Morgantown, WV|
|Aug. 19||1pm||Home||Detroit Mercy (exhib.)|
|Aug. 22||11am||Home||Cal U (exhib.)|
|Aug. 26||8pm||Away||Pitt||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Aug. 29||7pm||Home||Robert Morris|
|Aug. 31||7pm||Home||Saint Francis U|
|Sept. 5||TBA||Away||Howard||Washington, DC|
|Sept. 12||7:30pm||Away||Kentucky||Lexington, KY|
|Sept. 21||7pm||Away||Michigan State||East Lansing, MI|
|Sept. 25||7pm||Home||La Salle|
|Oct. 2||6pm||Away||Davidson||Davidson, NC|
|Oct. 6||7pm||Away||VCU||Richmond, VA|
|Oct. 16||5pm||Away||Saint Joseph's||Philadelphia, PA|
|Oct. 20||7pm||Home||St. Bonaventure|
|Oct. 26||7pm||Home||Wright State|
|Oct. 30||7pm||Away||Dayton||Dayton, OH|
|Nov. 6||Atlantic 10 Quarterfinals (top 4 teams)|
|Nov. 12 & 14||Atlantic 10 Semis/Final|